Thursday, February 28, 2019

YouTube, Please Don't Silence Us

Before January of this year, I had never seen an interabled relationship. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a romantic relationship where one individual is able-bodied and one individual has a disability. I had never seen that type of relationship between two twenty year olds. If it wasn't for Special Books for Special Kids (SBSK), I never would have met people are in interabled relationships.

SBSK's YouTube channel is all about the world understanding differences. The channel features children and adults who are different. Chris and Alyssa are a married couple who started SBSK to change the perception of disability. Their channel is strictly humanitarian; no politics or religion. They want to make the world a better place and I find solace going to their channel and seeing people who are living with a disability.

YouTube has deemed this channel "dangerous". This is because predators could potentially effect the children. Due to this, YouTube took down the comment section. The whole point of SBSK is dialog and encouragement. YouTube has stripped us of having dialog which is the point of the channel. Chris and Alyssa wrote a letter explaining what YouTube said which you can find here: https://www.change.org/p/youtube-reinstate-sbsk-comment-sections-immediately If you agree, please sign the petition.

This is a link to their channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4E98HDsPXrf5kTKIgrSmtQ
They are phenomenal people who have given me inspiration like this blog does for so many people. This is why I used my platform to lift them up. I'm heartbroken that this channel is experiencing discrimination and I have benefited from seeing disability being embraced. I cried reading this letter on change.org.

Through SBSK, I "met" Shane and Hannah. I haven't actually met them but they do daily videos on YouTube. Shane has muscular atrophy and Hannah is able-bodied. They are hilarious and totally in love with each other. Shane is a motivational speaker and author. I love them as a couple. Here's their channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4E98HDsPXrf5kTKIgrSmtQ

My first narratives of a romantic relationship was my parents who are able-bodied, Barbie and Ken, Gilmore Girls, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, there is absolutely nothing wrong with these narratives. However, I didn't see myself in these couples. It feels amazing to see someone who has special needs in a healthy, romantic relationship. It's given me hope that I will find love.

I am so grateful for my readers! You give me hope and strength everyday.

Love,
Hannah!

16 comments:

  1. I've signed the petition ! Hugs from Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent web site. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to several buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you in your sweat! Subscribe My Channel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you a lot for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please additionally talk over with my web site =). We could have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us! Subscribe My Channel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! DM me on Twitter if you want to talk.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your feedback. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hip-hop began its journey as a by-product of struggle answering the call for some revival of awareness within the African American community. hip hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful. miamisuperhero reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's encouraging to hear. I publish monthly so come back soon!

      Delete
  9. What a really awesome post this is. Truly, one of the best posts I've ever witnessed to see in my whole life. Wow, just keep it up. Liquid Help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment! Thank you so much! It's encouraging to hear. I publish monthly so come back soon!

      Delete

A Slice of my Memoir

 For those of you who don't know, I met a girl named, Katherine at the camp that I used to go to. She is my best friend. We text every...