Monday, August 31, 2020

Kidney Stones in a Pandemic!

 It's been one heck of a month! 

I was having pain on my left side. I went to the doctor and through an x-ray, my doctor determined it was kidney stones. I was told to drink a lot of fluids and wait it out. Fine.

Two weeks later, I am in writhing pain. I did not have an appetite; I could not do anything but sit. I called my doctor who wanted me to go to the emergency room. Wanting to avoid the ER in a pandemic (I cannot believe I just typed that sentence), my dad asked my doctor if we could avoid going to the ER and just send prescription pain medication. My doctor would not do that because I could have had an infection or blockage. I did not want to go to the ER, but the pain was radiating to my legs. My dad was pacing nervously the entire day; I felt so bad, but I knew I was in pain. I did not want to put my parents through this, but it was absolutely necessary. 

I asked my parents to take me to Rush Oak Park. This was because my doctors are all there, so I knew the x-rays were very much accessible to them. This is when I got frustrated. The fact that my x-rays were on hand did not speed up the process. Are you kidding? I just dragged my parents here for NOTHING. I was so angry they could not speed up the process.  

After a two hour wait, we get to a room. They finally give me morphine. Within two minutes, I am out of pain. After another hour, I finally got into CT. The technician's son happened to have a disability too, so he let mom be in the room which always helps.

It turns out that the stupid kidney stone moved. It did not become 15 stones; the darn thing just moved! I was so frustrated, happy to be on the morphine but what a waste of time! Since coming home, I only needed two pain killers. I am hoping it passed but I don't know. 

As if this wasn't enough, I had a new caregiver go through training and then quit. Yeah, that’s nice. September, could you go easy on us?

Hannah! 

13 comments:

  1. Ouch! What a tough month in a tough year. Hoping it is smooth sailing for the rest of the year. Love, Aunty Dorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Hannah, it will get better. 2020 is in the final stretch. Cousin Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I have had some really bad stomach issues lately, so I think I know some of how you feel! Hang in there, 2021 is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment was Rita, I don’t know why they didn’t let me change my name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry. I have had some really bad stomach issues lately, so I think I know some of how you feel! Hang in there, 2021 is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I have had some really bad stomach issues lately, so I think I know some of how you feel! Hang in there, 2021 is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. I have had some really bad stomach issues lately, so I think I know some of how you feel! Hang in there, 2021 is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. London consultant dermatologist

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Information, Thanks for sharing this valuable content with us. I have something useful to share with you regarding treatment for diabetes ayurvedic medicine for kidney stones I hope this will give you some suggestions to work on your upcoming blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hannah, I regularly read your blog, and love it. However I must have missed this one. I suffer from teeny tiny kidney stones, which cause issue without warning, and are never there or visible by the time I get an MRI. If you have a recurrence, here's what I do. My fabulous massage therapist suggested soaking my feet in warm epsom salts. She said the warmth would travel up my legs and help the kidney stone dissolve. I can't testify to the medical/ chemical validity, but I can tell you that after a soak and a nap I always feel better.
    - Gaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaye! How the heck are you? It's been a long time! I'll try that next time. It's usually every ten years so I can't complain about the frequency. Thanks for that job at Pathways, still looks good on the resume.

      Delete

A Slice of my Memoir

 For those of you who don't know, I met a girl named, Katherine at the camp that I used to go to. She is my best friend. We text every...