Monday, August 31, 2015

Julie

On August 7th, 2015 my best friend, Julie D'Agostino passed away as she ended her battle with Cystic Fibrosis. 


I could tell you how I screamed and cried, I could tell you how devastated her family was, I could tell you how beautiful she looked in her casket at the wake, I could tell you that there were 500 people at her funeral, I could tell you her casket was pink and I kissed it twice, I could tell you a lot of things about this terrible month. Here is what I will tell you: 


Julie lived her life like no other. She truly lived. I was blessed with four amazing years of her friendship. She understood me at a level only she could. The only fight we ever had was who had it tougher. She would insist that I had more challenges. I think we all know the truth. She was in the hospital most of our friendship. Her parents would always thank me for coming. They didn't ever need to thank me because I always knew there would be a day where I wouldn't be able to visit Julie; I would be writing this post instead.  

Ever since I got the news about Julie, I have been thinking about this blog post. How do I sum up what she meant to me? The truth is I can't. Words fail when it comes to Julie. I want to tell you two things though.  


Julie made me want to be a better friend. 


Julie made me a better person. 


That girl set the standard for humility, kindness, compassion, and she knew how to wear pink. 


Thank you to Uncle Gary, Nana, Morgan (who made the saddest phone calls ever to previous assistants), Jenn (who held me throughout the funeral), Katie (who comforted me when I knew she was in hospice), Monetta (who got me through the wake), and Kim who was my assistant in college, came to the funeral which meant the world to me. My Uncle Gary and Nana had to step up because my family was in Ireland the entire week. It was the first family vacation I didn't go on and all I can say is God has really interesting timing. 


To those of you who sent me condolences on Facebook, to the friends that took me out to eat, and people who sent cards, thank you. Your words and sweet gestures are getting me through the saddest time of my life. Thank you. 


If you want to do something to honor Julie, register to have your organs donated at http://donatelife.net/register-now/. If your beliefs conflict with that, you can donate time or funds to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation at https://www.cff.org/


Finally, thank you to each reader who has prayed, sent well wishes, or asked about Julie when she was very sick.  I knew she was in a great deal of pain over the course of July and I think God took her He knew she was ready to put down her cross and rest in eternal life. 


I Love You All,

Hannah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Slice of my Memoir

 For those of you who don't know, I met a girl named, Katherine at the camp that I used to go to. She is my best friend. We text every...