Thursday, October 31, 2019

Let's Cure Dystonia!

I had the privilege of speaking at a dystonia fundraiser this month. It's always a real privilege! Here's what I said: 


Thank you for that introduction, Beth. As of May 2020, of this year, I will have obtained my master’s degree in social justice. I speak at this benefit this year telling you my accomplishments each year. This is a great privilege and I am humbled to share my story year after year. However, I wish I did not have to share my story each year. I live a wonderful life and a life I would not change for the world, but I need a cure for dystonia. I would like to not need benefits and fundraisers for dystonia. A world without dystonia would be better.

In church today, the priest was commenting on how we don’t know what everyone had going on this morning. The message was on judging others and how it hurts people. And I thought to myself nobody knows how hard it is to struggle to get dressed every single morning because of uncontrollable movements. It’s hard and honestly, I would love for it to just go away. But that cannot happen without fundraisers like these. I would not dwell on how frustrating dystonia is; there is absolutely no reason to.

However, as a woman who entered the dating world this year, it is so hard. You cannot imagine how hard it is to date. First, you have to actually like someone. Most men are quite boring, or they just don’t have their lives together and are still living with their mothers. Come on! Then, if they passed that test I have to explain to them that I cannot feed myself. That’s a nerve-wracking conversation. I have been complaining about how hard this is but maybe I’m lucky. Because the man I marry will be amazing like Sheri’s husband was. Dating and disability are not associated in our culture. Well, I am going to be brave, be bold, and get my happily ever after.

Regardless of what happens with men, I will graduate with my master’s degree this year. Thank you to my parents, friends, and family who supported me. Beth, you are truly amazing, I hope I did Sheri proud tonight. Thank you. 

Readers, thank you for your support! 

Let's Cure Dystonia, 
Hannah! 

3 comments:

"We Don't Do Slow"

  Sitting in Washington D.C. traffic is like nothing else. Olivia’s ponytail hung on the back seat in front of me. Olivia, my bright-eyed,...