Wearing a long, cream-colored dress with floral detailing, I rolled into a local elementary school. The principal and event coordinator were walking beside me.
“We’re so excited to have you here today,” the event coordinator, Cassie, said.
“I’m really excited to be here today,” I replied.
“Your email to us was perfect timing because we are having Diversity Week, and you emailed three weeks ago,” the principal stated.
“I’m so happy this worked out,” I typed out.
This was the first time I had done an email campaign targeting local schools, and this was the first school to respond. I was thrilled! It felt like a milestone in my speaking career. I am deeply appreciative of every reader who connects me with speaking opportunities, but securing this engagement on my own merit felt wonderful. More than anything, it felt like an exciting step forward in my speaking career.
I rolled into the auditorium, where they led me to the stage entrance, which is my favorite entrance. My wheels made a familiar cracking sound on the black wood, making me feel right at home. The school staff set up my microphone. Everyone was professional and warm.
The event coordinator kicked things off by saying, “Boys and girls, this is Hannah Thompson. She graduated with her bachelor's degree in communications and master's degree in social justice. She is active in the community, advocates for people with disabilities, and gives presentations like these to educate people on what it is like to have cerebral palsy and movement disorders.”
I'll share my favorite part of the presentation with you:
I have needed a lot of help in my life.
Some of that help is easy to see. My caregivers help me every day. My wheelchair helps me move. My communication device gives me a voice that other people can hear.
But I also believe that God has helped me by putting the right people in my life at the right times.
Sometimes God's help comes through a teacher who believes in you.
Sometimes it comes through your parents.
Sometimes it comes through a friend who stays beside you when things are hard.
And sometimes, you might be the person God puts in somebody else's life.
Think about that.
Maybe there is a kid in your class who feels left out.
Maybe someone talks differently, moves differently, learns differently, or needs more help than you do.
Maybe someone just needs a friend.
You don't have to understand everything about another person before you can be kind to them.
You can say hello. You can sit next to them. You can ask them a question. You can invite them to play.
And if they have a disability and you think they might need help, remember what I told you earlier: ask them first.
You never know when something that seems small to you might mean a lot to somebody else.
God has put so many people in my life who have helped me become the person I am today.
And I think one of the most amazing things about that is knowing that God can use me to help somebody else, too.
That's one reason I'm standing here talking to all of you today.
Your program is called Everybody Counts, and I think those two words say something really important.
Everybody counts.
The kid who runs the fastest counts.
The kid who needs extra help counts.
The kid who talks a lot counts.
The kid who communicates differently counts.
The kid who looks like you counts, and the kid who looks nothing like you counts.
Every single one of you is special, and Jesus loves each and every one of you.
Every one of you has a light that can help the world shine.
The kids seemed to really enjoy it. I received a ton of questions, which is always a good sign! When I finished, the students applauded. It was a joy to visit the school and encourage each little one to let their light shine.
Blog readers, how about you? Are you letting your light shine?
Love you, Hannah! 💗
No comments:
Post a Comment