Sunday, February 28, 2021

Finally, Some Independence!

 It was a cold ten-minute walk but so worth it. I was walking to Athletico for the first time. I decided to go for my shoulder since they could massage it. I am going to other physical therapy places for strengthening and balance, but a lot of time is spent on my shoulder, so I decided it made sense to go someplace specific for my shoulder. This was after every member of my family nagged me to go. I would say I have been to physical therapy all my life; I do not need more! I'm so sick and tired of therapy. Don't get me wrong, I love my therapists! I do; they are wonderful women who had significant impacts on me. I'm just really sick of working on my balance. Anyway...

I meet Hope, my physical therapist and I had emailed her about my diagnosis and what I wanted out of my time at Athletico. We didn't need to focus on standing balance, core work, I simply needed my shoulder worked on. Hope seemed to understand my goals quite well. I told her about my other therapies and how I was trying to find a good mix of everything. She worked on my shoulder and it felt wonderful! 

I had done it. As Hope put on my coat, I realized that I had successfully done something new all on my own. I called and made the appointment, I emailed Hope about what to expect, I went, and all went well. Joy radiated throughout my body because I had been independent. It was like taking a drink of water while running in the desert. I desperately needed to be independent. I had forgotten the utter joy of going to a new place and getting to know new people. 

As we wait for any type of normal to resume, give yourself a break. Now that it isn't freezing, get out and go out for a walk. Do something that fills your soul. It's hard to be a human; try to find some joy.

 

Hannah! 

 

4 comments:

  1. Love you! So proud of you for getting yourself to Hope. Delighted to know your shoulder feels better and that you were also rewarded with a joy that comes from sense of a major accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so happy to hear you were able to take care of yourself! I’m glad you got some relief!

    ReplyDelete

"We Don't Do Slow"

  Sitting in Washington D.C. traffic is like nothing else. Olivia’s ponytail hung on the back seat in front of me. Olivia, my bright-eyed,...