Friday, September 30, 2022

Pieces of my Heart

Kevin, my longtime mentor had texted me about homecoming. He said that a long-time acquaintance of mine was going to be playing on Friday night. Gina Venier was going to be playing. Sounded like a great time!

                “Everyone knows me so I will be back when I am back,” I said to Julia, my caregiver who was settling into study on my couch.

                “Have fun!” Julia said.

                I took the well-worn path from my condo to my university. Elmhurst University. Being funny, Kevin asked me if I was taking the stairs or ramp to the quad. Obviously, the ramp would be my choice. Meeting me by the ramp, Kevin hugged me.

                “How are you, HT?” Kevin asked.

                “Good! Working on the book,” I replied.

                He then filled me in on his life highlighting the fact that his kids never came home.

                “You sound like my parents,” I replied.

                The night was great, and I saw some familiar faces which are the pieces of my heart. I love that I went to Elmhurst and truly made it my home. The next morning was the epitome of bittersweet. It was Dr. Deatra Sullivan-Morgan’s bench memorial. Deatra was my mentor throughout college who unfortunately passed before Covid. Many of you remember reading about her in my November 2019 post. She was quite special to me.

                The memorial service was in one of the classrooms that she taught in. Her daughter, Jessica spoke as well as Deatra’s husband and son-in-law. They had beautiful, funny stories to share. My heart embraced every word. We walked out with the sun streaming on our faces to a beautiful, new bench right next to the spot she parked in for 19 years. Jessica placed nineteen purple roses on the bench and the service wrapped up.

                It’s funny because people don’t realize that I live minutes from the University and literally can come and go in five minutes. About two hours after, I had changed outfits, and everyone was a little confused. On those types of days, my condo is simply a dressing room.

                That was homecoming 2022.

                I’m doing really well. I’ll be working on the outline of my book this week. If you know someone who is in the industry, now is the time to connect me to that person. I’ve been writing since February. I have thirteen chapters. If you have offered to help in some way with the book, e-mail me. I want to get the ball rolling! 

Hannah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"We Don't Do Slow"

  Sitting in Washington D.C. traffic is like nothing else. Olivia’s ponytail hung on the back seat in front of me. Olivia, my bright-eyed,...